Nickerson Field History
Home to the men’s and women’s soccer, and women’s lacrosse teams, Nickerson Field is a 10,412 seat FieldTurf facility. The former football home of Boston University is a stadium rich in the tradition of Boston sports history. Once the home of the Boston Braves National League baseball club, it was purchased by the University on July 29, 1953.
The site, on Harry Agganis Way just north of busy Commonwealth Avenue, has undergone sweeping modifications in the last 28 years. A little known fact is that the Terriers actually played some of their early games on the then Braves Field, or as it was better known, the Wigwam.
Boston University opened its 1921 season in the stadium with a 52-0 triumph over Worcester Tech. The stadium owes its present layout largely to the birth of the Boston Patriots of the infant American Football League. Orphans before they played their first game, the Patriots joined with the University and completely reconstructed the stadium as a cost of over $300,000.
Additional seating and lights were obtained, new sod put down and a modern press box added. The Patriots, here for three seasons, played the first American Football League game in history on Friday night, September 9, 1960 against the Denver Broncos.
Nickerson Field was also the site of another first in professional football in 1983 as the Boston Breakers played their home games here during the initial season of the United States Football League. With over 60 years of service to the Boston sports community, the stadium, in addition to football, hosts a wide variety of activities. The field was astroturfed in 1968 and refurbished in 1973, 1986, and 1995. In addition to field, there is a 400-meter turf track, a mercury-vapor lighting system, tennis courts and landscaping.
Converted from AstroTurf to FieldTurf in May of 2001, Nickerson Field was also home to the Boston Breakers, the city’s first professional women’s soccer team. The Breakers, who are part of the WUSA (Women’s United Soccer Association), played their inaugural home game on May 5, 2001 to a sellout crowd.